We have got
new cushion pads, much needed as since we had to part with our old sofas we can’t seem to find ‘our place’ on the new ones. And now the pads have their new frock.
This is the piece where it all started back in June. I mordanted the fabric almost a year ago with lots of proteins. In spring I bundled in cabbage and scrap iron – and waited. After rinsing all blue was gone, just iron left few marks. At that time I had some euca leaves soaking; I pick them up when we walk home from school, the ones on the ground seem to work much better than the fresh from the trees. So I bundled those in along with few wild raspberry leaves. In the pot it went again. And where the iron left marks on the fabric it reacted with tannins in the leaves leaving this pattern. From then it’s been like an invisible thread – bit by bit experimenting with iron in various forms as well as leaves containg tannins which grow locally, changing time of steeming/cooking as well as temperature.
(medium weight uholstery linen)
From scraps I made this little bag and our younger one fell in love with it – as she usually does when I make something. She is my best customer :).